Wednesday 11 April 2007

A chimp can post a leaflet through a door!

So...this is my first post. I've never created a blog before but i've done it in the vain hope that it inspires others like me to interact with politics in Norwich and the wider community. Theres too much cynicism in politics which doesn't resonate from individuals within politics but by the lack of engagement of citizens with politics.

I'm 23 and have always been interested in politics. I've never been in a political party as i don't feel that any one party represents my views but i respect those who do engage at that level. However interested you are in politics you shouldn't have to constantly chase the politicians. They should want to chase you! they should want to grab us, to talk to us and to find out our opinions on the saubjects that really matter.

This blog is a result of a lack of interaction in politics. The May elections are coming and i've only had one leaflet through my door - From Labour. None others. Where are the others? Do they not bother to print them in areas where they don't think they will win but are still standing a candidate? And the Labour candidate... commendable to post a leaflet more. More commendable would be for them to stop, see me staring at them through the kitchen window and stop and talk to me. Even if i disagreed or agreed with everything they said (Highly unlikely either way) then there would have been real interaction. A chimp can post a leaflet through a door.

5 comments:

Antony said...

A bit harsh! The trouble is that each ward has around 7-8000 voters and not enough activists to do the work. We can't physically speak to everyone, let alone sometimes leaflet everyone! Every party needs more voluneers. Politics needs people ...

Great blog, Antony

UnthankRoad said...

have to endorse Antony's comments 100%. I'd go further though. It is the unrealistic expectations placed upon even amateur local politicians by self-righteous observers that, among other things, deters people from becoming involved.
why give up your own time and money, yes give up money!, to serve a community that will not appreciate you, or even despise you, no matter how hard you work for it.

Maltheus said...

Thanks for your comments. Its good to have some discussion here. I still make my point - 5 years of being able to vote - No contact with any politicians, activists and maybe a pamphlet or two throughout that. It is that democracy and informing the voters? I don't despise politicians but greatly admire their commitment (Whatever colour). I carry out voluntary work and that takes up my time too. Admittedly there is more ways to engage with voters than just pamphletting and i think positive moves such as the South Norfolk Conservatives with youtube and downloadable manifestos show some positive steps that are being made.

Anonymous said...

Personally I believe if local candidates want voters to get out to the voting booth, they should get out the the doorstep, show their face, discuss the issues. Surely if one wants 3,000 votes in a ward, one should be prepared to shake 3,000 hands and listen.

Do you know of many people who get a job without an interview? IMHO its lazy to hid behind leaflets, blogpots, websites and national party colours/national party machine.

Antony said...

Absolutely anonymous - but you cannot physically meet everyone, so there will always be people like Maltheus who doesn't get to meet a candidate (let alone all of them). I have been out every day, all day for the whole of my school easter holiday and every night now until the election. I won't meet anywhere near even half the people in my ward. Some candidates - even Tory ones! - are lazy but there are a lot of hard workers out there on all sides. I'd like to see a lot of the moaners give up the time for public service like political activists do.